The former International Smelter, located in Tooele County, Utah was one of the Anaconda Company’s primary lead smelters from 1910 through the middle of the 1970’s. In addition to lead processing, the plant also processed copper, zinc and arsenic. At the time of the site reclamation, the 1200-acre site contained remaining smelter buildings, equipment, underground tanks, tailings facilities and tailings impoundments. In addition to remaining physical facilities, soils on site were high in metals, chemicals present in process emissions, and scattered by-products residuals.
Reclamation of the site entailed removing and properly disposing of listed wastes, consolidating plant by-product waste into a waste isolation cell and placing a stabilization cover over approximately 400-acres of impacted areas. Hydraulic structures were designed and installed to protect reclaimed areas. The entire site vegetated with native grasses, forbs and shrubs.
Anderson continues to provided site maintenance, inspections, and sampling.